Pyongyang Marathon Ultra Short BUDGET Tour via Dandong 2N
2 nights, 3 days in DPRK
Dandong → Pyongyang → Marathon → Dandong
NEW: We are pleased to announce that by popular demand, the Pyongyang Marathon will now be held twice a year. The inaugural October Pyongyang Marathon will run on October 29 this year. A 5km option is new to this fall marathon. The April 2018 marathon will be held on April 8.
Pyongyang Marathon (Fall Edition) - October 29, 2017
Registration Deadline is October 1st, 2017.
Pyongyang Marathon - April 8, 2018
Registration Deadline is January 1st, 2018
In this short tour, take a quick break from your day-to-day to run the Pyongyang Marathon while taking in the grand Pyongyang sights.
Seats are selling fast. Book Now! Early registration begins NOW - reserve your spot with a $600 deposit. (Standard cancellation terms apply)
At this time, Americans are not permitted to take international train into the country.
Approximate registration fees (if fees change, the difference will be nominal)
RUN THE FULL MARATHON - separate registration fee of $150 USD (April) / $110 USD (October)
RUN A HALF MARATHON - separate registration fee of $100 USD (April) / $90 USD (October)
RUN A 10K - separate registration fee of $70 USD (April) / $80 USD (October)
RUN A 5K - separate registration fee of $70 USD (October only)
Almost anyone can run in the amateur marathon, half marathon, or 10K alongside professional runners. There are no official qualifying times for the amateur marathon. However, you must either FINISH or STOP within 5 hours for all lengths.
All participants will receive an official award certificate, an exclusive Pyongyang Marathon medal, Pyongyang Marathon branded t-shirt, timing chips, and other exclusive goodies. All winners will also receive an official souvenir.
More information on the Pyongyang Marathon HERE
Day 1: Meet in Dandong for train to Pyongyang
- 8:30am: Meet our local agent at the gate of Dandong train station. We will hand out your DPRK visas at this time.
- 10am: Depart for Pyongyang via train
- 5:45pm: Arrive in Pyongyang and be greeted by our local Korean guides
- Arch of Triumph, comparable to the one in Paris
- Mansudae Grand Monument - we’ll pay our respects at the bronze statues of the leaders in Korean fashion
- Pre-race group dinner - we’ll hand out runner pins and other marathon goodies, and make last minute race announcements here
- Overnight at the Koryo Hotel
Day 2: Pyongyang Marathon
- Participate in the Mangyongdae Prize International Marathon
- Lunch and rest at the hotel
- Tower over Pyongyang at the Juche Tower (5 Euros lift fee)
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro, the deepest metro in the world
- Walk in the Kim Il Sung Square, 3rd largest square in the world
- Shop at the Foreign Languages Bookshop for your favorite souvenirs
- Awards dinner and ceremony (i.e. party time!)
- Overnight at the Koryo hotel
Day 3: Farewell/Return to Dandong
- Depart at 10:10am at the Pyongyang Train Station
- Return to Dandong via train at 17:30
- End of tour
This itinerary is subject to change at any time.
- DPRK visa fees and handling
- Round trip train ticket from Dandong to Pyongyang
- 2 nights’ DPRK hotel accommodations (double occupancy, 4 stars)
- 3 meals per day
- Coach transportation in DPRK
- Two local DPRK guides
- One local driver
- Admission fees (except those listed below)
- Marathon registration fee (detailed above) and Kim Il Sung Stadium festival for spectators ($28 USD)
- Round-trip airfare to Beijing from home country
- Chinese visa fees and processing, if applicable
- Travel insurance and medical evacuation insurance (required)
- Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, etc.)
- Extra drinks during meals (one complimentary beer included)
- Tips for guides and drivers (please budget $10 per day per traveler)
Special Entrance Fees for Optional Events
(Some entrance fees are priced in Euros. We strongly recommend to bring exact change in Euros to pay at the door; USD is accepted, but may be subject to an unfavorable exchange rate)
- Extra a la carte items incurred during meals (i.e., dog meat soup, Kaesong chicken soup, wine at the pizza/pasta restaurant, specialty restaurants such as the Okryu cold noodle restaurant, all roughly $5-10)
- Elevator to the top of the Juche Tower, 5 euros)
- Beer at microbreweries ($1-3 per draft)